Article Image Alt Text

An argument at an Abbeville youth baseball game in May has resulted in three adults being banned from entering all Abbeville parks until their court date next month.

Abbeville City council bans three from city parks

The Abbeville City Council has banned three individuals from entering any of Abbeville’s parks until they go before a judge next month.
The city council voted 4-0 to ban Justin Vincent, Angelique Soelv, and Angelique’s daughter Jalearreia Soelv from Abbeville Parks until the hearing. Councilman Francis Touchet Jr. was absent from the meeting.
Mayor White made the recommendation to not allow them in the parks because they were allegedly involved in an incident at A. A. Comeaux Park on May 22.
During an end-of-the-season QSA baseball game for eight-year-olds, an argument broke out between two adults. It all started when one adult man remarked, “It’s luck, nothing but luck,” after Angelique’s son made a diving catch in the outfield by the foul line.
Angelique responded by saying, “That’s talent,” which sparked the argument.
Angelique called her daughter, Jalearreia Soelv, to come to the baseball field.  Her daughter arrived, got out of her vehicle but never walked into Luquette Field, but remained on the road.
In a TV 10 News interview last month, Jalearreia explained why she went to the field. 
“I simply went there, and I went to address the two,” Jalearreia Soelv said. “I didn’t hop out of anything with no weapon. I didn’t barge into nowhere. I didn’t forcefully go anywhere. I didn’t curse at them when I addressed them. I simply said, I don’t know which one of y’all that disrespected my mom, but after all of this, y’all could come talk to me outside the gate.”
Jalearreia Soelv said the narrative being put out is that “she [her mother] called us to come and shoot up the place or whatever they’re trying to say.”
“Why would we do that when my little brother is on that same field ” she continued.
The mother and daughter were not at the city council meeting on  Tuesday. However, Vincent and his attorney, Glenda Huddleston were there.
Vincent allegedly argued with the Soelvs while holding a bat. He is being charged with disturbing the peace, while the Soelvs have a felony charge against them.
Huddleston told Mayor Roslyn White and the council that several people were at Luquette Field, and her client was mistaken for another person.
Councilwoman Terry Broussard shared her thoughts on adults arguing during a youth baseball game.
“As adults, we should be on our best behavior in public places, especially when representing kids,” said Broussard.  “Right now, the kids are on my mind. My top priority will always be for the kids.”
Mayor White also gave her thoughts on the banning.
“Banning is the right thing to assure that every child and adult who goes to the park does not fall under the same threat that happened at A.A. Comeaux Park on the night of May 22. If any of the three individuals are found not guilty, they will be allowed back in the parks.
“I think we have to have a zero tolerance. This is a relevant penalty,” said the Mayor.

Vermilion Today

Abbeville Meridional

318 N. Main St.
Abbeville, LA 70510
Phone: 337-893-4223
Fax: 337-898-9022

The Kaplan Herald

219 North Cushing Avenue
Kaplan, LA 70548