Article Image Alt Text

FEMA qualifies Vermilion for Individual Assistance

Individuals who had home damage can ask FEMA for assistance

Vermilion Parish has been approved by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for Individual Assistance and not Public Assistance.
Vermilion Parish Office of Emergency Preparedness Director Becky Broussard received an e-mail from state representative Ryan Bourriaque informing Vermilion Parish officials that Vermilion is now one of only nine parishes who qualified for Individual Assistance.
“What that means is that the parish had more than 25 homes damaged from Hurricane Laura,” said Broussard. “Those homeowners and others who had damage are now qualified for FEMA assistance.”
Over the weekend, Gov. John Bel Edwards asked the Trump administration to approve 23 parishes for Individual Assistance.
Thus far, only Acadia, Allen, Beauregard, Calcasieu, Cameron, Jefferson Davis, Quachitia, Vermilion, and Vernon parishes have been approved for
Individual Assistance.
A team of Red Cross volunteers was in Vermilion Parish the last few days, assessing the storm damage.
Many homes in Erath, Delcambre, Henry, and the Pecan Island area had storm surge damage.
Vermilion Parish individuals who had storm damage can apply for aid at or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 the speech and hearing impaired. The toll-free numbers operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day until further notice.
However, the Red Cross Assessment Team did not think the parish, as a whole, have enough wind damage to qualify for public assistant help. That means that the Police Jury will not get help from FEMA to pick up tree branches along the side of the road.
As of Tuesday, the only parishes to qualify for both Individual Assistant and Public Assistance are Cameron, Calcasieu and Beauregard parishes.

Individual Disaster Assistance

FEMA Disaster Assistance can help support your recovery from a major disaster. If you’re ready to apply now for disaster assistance or would like more information on the types of assistance available please visit Not sure if you are in an area declared for disaster assistance? Visit and enter your address to find out if your area is declared for Individual Assistance.

FEMA disaster assistance partners can provide help with immediate needs FEMA is not authorized to provide.

Type of Assistance FEMA Provides
Home/Primary Residence: We provide housing assistance to individuals and families who have lost their homes as a result of a presidentially-declared disaster. If you are a renter or homeowner you may qualify for assistance. By law, FEMA assistance cannot duplicate the assistance you receive from your insurance company, but you may receive assistance for items not covered by insurance. If your home was impacted by a major disaster we recommend that you apply for assistance.

Secondary Home: FEMA does not offer assistance for your secondary home. Federal guidelines only allow FEMA to provide housing assistance when your primary residence is impacted by a presidentially-declared disaster.

Business: FEMA does not offer assistance for small businesses impacted by a presidentially-declared disaster. However, we do partner with the Small Business Administration (SBA), which offers low interest loans for business damages. Learn more about the business loan application process.

Other Needs Assistance: FEMA offers disaster assistance for some of your other disaster-caused expenses including, medical and dental, child care, funeral and burial, essential household items, moving and storage, vehicle, and some clean-up items.

Housing Options
Rental Assistance: Offers temporary financial help so disaster survivors have somewhere to live while they make plans for permanent housing.
Who may be eligible? A homeowner or renter whose primary residence is determined to be uninhabitable after a FEMA inspection, who has housing needs not covered by insurance and who needs to relocate while repairs are under way.

A home inspection is needed to verify and assess the damages listed in your application. Inspectors will record damages, but do not make decisions on your assistance. Inspections will examine structural damage to your home, but are not designed to capture every detail of damage. The inspector may take some photos of your home to document damages. They will also assess damage to necessary items such as the furnace, water heater, washer, dryer, refrigerator, stove, and your utilities. Inspectors also gather information about other needs, such as lost or destroyed clothing, and damaged children’s items. You should identify all known damage and tell the inspector if you have a septic system or well. The inspector will not enter areas that are potentially unsafe.

When the inspector visits your home, someone 18 years of age or older who lived in the household prior to the disaster must be present. The inspector will ask to see:

Photo identification.
Proof of ownership/occupancy of damaged residence. (Visit our page on ownership and occupancy proof requirements for more information.)
Insurance documents: home and/or auto (structural insurance/auto declaration sheet).
List of household occupants living in residence at time of disaster.
All disaster-caused damages to both real and personal property.


Vermilion Today

Abbeville Meridional

318 N. Main St.
Abbeville, LA 70510
Phone: 337-893-4223
Fax: 337-898-9022

The Kaplan Herald

219 North Cushing Avenue
Kaplan, LA 70548

The Gueydan Journal

311 Main Street
Gueydan, LA 70542