News

Article Image Alt Text

Abbeville woman Killed in Lafayette Parish Crash

LAFAYETTE — On July 29, 2025, just before 11 p.m., Troopers with Louisiana State Police Troop I began investigating a single-vehicle fatality crash on Louisiana Highway 724 (South Fieldspan Road) near its intersection with Paul Molbert Road.
The crash claimed the life of 36-year-old Schuyler Lewis of Abbeville.
The preliminary investigation revealed Lewis was driving a 2023 Kia Sportage south on LA Hwy 724. For reasons still under investigation, the Kia traveled off the roadway to the right while in a curve before striking an embankment, a tree, and a utility pole.

Article Image Alt Text

Dr. Savoie talks to students at UL.

Article Image Alt Text

Jamie Hebert, an Abbeville native, will serve as president during the search to replace Dr. Savoie.

UL'S Dr. Savoie stepping down; Abbeville High graduate will replace him

Dr. Joseph Savoie is stepping down as president of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette following a transformational 17-year tenure.
Savoie, a two-time UL Lafayette graduate and its sixth president, has been named president emeritus by the University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors. His last day as president is Thursday.
Dr. Jaimie Hebert, the University’s provost and vice president for Academic Affairs for the past seven years, will serve as interim president during the search for a permanent successor.

Article Image Alt Text

Reni James Landry

Delcambre man held on $1.75 million bond

A Delcambre man is in custody and has been charged with multiple sex crimes against a juvenile in Lafayette Parish, officials said.
Reni James Landry, 37, turned himself in Monday after an investigation by the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office led to warrants for his arrest.
He faces two counts of indecent behavior with a juvenile, three counts of first degree rape, sexual battery under 13 and five counts of sexual battery and oral sexual battery.
Landry is being held in the Lafayette Parish jail on a $1.75 million bond.

Article Image Alt Text

Criminal charge filed on Erath city employee after Erath council meeting

ERATH — Erath City Council meeting turned a little heated when a volunteer fireman stormed out yelling and pointing his finger at the city council and mayor, and at the same time allegedly threatened an 80-year-old audience member. 
Last Monday, Stanley Norris went to the Erath Police Station and filed charges against James Howard, a part-time worker for Erath. He is also a part-time paid city fireman.
Norris filed simple assault charges against Howard for what Howard allegedly told him at a recent Erath City Council meeting.

State canceling $3 billion state rebuilding marsh project could help Vermilion, Cameron

Earlier this month, Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry scrapped a $3 billion coastal restoration plan that the 2010 Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill was going to help pay for. That $3 billion cancellation could be good news to Vermilion and Cameron parishes. 
The plan was called the Mid-Barataria Sediment Diversion.
Originally planned as a large-scale restoration project, the sediment diversion was devised to reconnect the Mississippi River to the Barataria Basin, with the intent to rebuild marshes in Plaquemine Parish.

Pages

Vermilion Today

Abbeville Meridional

318 N. Main St.
Abbeville, LA 70510
Phone: 337-893-4223
Fax: 337-898-9022

The Kaplan Herald

219 North Cushing Avenue
Kaplan, LA 70548