
North Vermilion has to forfeit first round boys' playoff game
North Vermilion High School notified the Louisiana High School Athletic Association of a clerical error involving a boys’ basketball player’s grades. As a result, the LHSAA ruled on Wednesday that the team is ineligible for the first round of the playoffs.
The Patriots were scheduled to play the Abbeville Wildcats on Thursday. Following North Vermilion’s disqualification, Abbeville advanced to the second round.
North Vermilion Principal Casey Meador accepted responsibility for the error.
“I take full responsibility,” said Meador. “I have to put things in place to make sure this never happens again at North Vermilion.”
The administration discovered that a Patriot basketball player had participated in games while academically ineligible and promptly reported this to the LHSAA.
Since the playoff brackets had already been released, the LHSAA could not retroactively void the games involving the ineligible player.
Abbeville High advanced to the second round. AHS Head Coach Trevor Eaton expressed sympathy for the North Vermilion team and its coaches.
“As a basketball head coach and athletic director at Abbeville, I empathize with the kids and coaches from both schools,” Eaton said. “While Abbeville moves forward, it feels like a lose-lose situation for the entire community.
“The real impact is on the kids and coaches who prepared for the playoffs.”
Due to the forfeit, the Wildcats lost a guaranteed home game. In the second round, they will face the winner of No. 5 Franklin Parish and No. 28 Iota.
Abbeville will host the second round only if Iota upsets Franklin Parish.
